Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Words of Wisdom Wednesday

R. E. S. P. E. C. T.

I heard a bit on the radio this morning about respecting our husbands and that men like to hear "I respect you" and not just "I love you", something that we as women don't usually think about because to us, love = respect. And I guess, it's not just telling them that we respect them, but showing them too.  Respect, they were saying, is a choice. We choose to respect others. It's not something someone needs to earn.

Respect is both a noun and a verb. An action and an attitude. A choice.

Respect
Pronunciation:/rɪˈspɛkt/

noun
1 [mass noun] a feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements: the director had a lot of respect for Douglas as an actor2 due regard for the feelings, wishes, or rights of others: young people's lack of respect for their parents
3 a particular aspect, point , or detail: the government's record in this respect is a mixed one

verb[with object]
 1 admire (someone or something) deeply, as a result of their abilities, qualities, or achievements: she was respected by everyone she worked with
2 have due regard for (someone's feelings, wishes, or rights): I respected his views


So how do we respect others? I think the following 're-post if you agree' statuses going around on facebook at the moment says it well: "I was raised to say please and thank you, to have respect for my elders, to lend a helping hand to those who were in need, to hold the door for the person behind me, to say excuse me when it was needed, and to love people for who they are, not for what you can get from them! I was taught to treat people the way I want to be treated."

Here is a very good article about respecting our husbands.  


“The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to an opponent, tolerance; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect; to all men, charity.” - Benjamin Franklin


"Never take a person's dignity: it is worth everything to them, and nothing to you." - Frank Barron



1 comment:

Mother Duck said...

I heard the same thing on the radio this morning. It was a real lightbulb moment! xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...